Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 120- What a Week!!

So I just wanted to fill you guys all in on my 'interesting' week. As most of you guys know I have had a good amount of pain in my hands. So thankfully I was albe to get some drugs to help me. The one drug was methylprednisolone, a steroid which should help with the inflammation in my hands, reduce pain, and hopefully give me a little more energy.

For the steroid, I was infused for an hour for three days this week. The first appointment was long, I was there for about two hours. It was a weird sensation again to be walking into the hospital, not wearing scrubs and knowing that I was not playing nurse that day. It is always weird getting hooked up to this IV pump and watching everyone else around me. I cannot say I am a fan. I may have said this before, but I feel like two different people, one who is sick with MS and the other who is somewhat, usually- (who am i kidding--sometimes) emotionally stable and thinks she can do things like she used to.. surprise, she can't. (Point proven this week)

The rest of the week I came back two more times. The worst part about these steroids were the side effects.
The first one I noticed was the gross taste in my mouth. My brother asked me about this a few months ago, when he gave me one of my injections he asked me if I got a metallic taste in my mouth. I just kind of laughed at him and said no. It was during this infusion that I fully realized his disgust with this taste. It is gross and doesn't just go away after a few minutes. It lasts the whole day!
The second lovely side effect was back pain. At first I thought it was the chair, but it was comfortable chair which threw me off. But it came back the second and third day also. Oh the joys.
The third thing was the 'false energy' it gave me. I had not hung out with friends for a long time for a long period of time. I kind of drained myself this week. I made lots of food for a potluck dinner, invited friends over for supper and just stayed up late, which was great, until I crashed.

Yesterday I crashed, I went for my last treatment at 0930 until 1030. I went and picked up some other medication from the pharmacy. Got home around 1130. Ate lunch. Took a shower and then napped from 1300-1700. It was kind of really nice.

Today, well I feel like crap, my back is killing me, my stomach feels gross, I feel dizzy and light headed, my legs are weak and clumsy and I am CRAVING french fries!! (Oh that is what I am going to have for supper, oven roasted potatoes). Oh well, I will quit my complaining. (I am also sorry if this post sounds a little discombobulated)

I have a quote for you today. I finished a very cute book today, (Started and finished this week, if you know me at all you would be impressed) It was called "The Art of Racing in the Rain." It is written by the perspective of a dog. Goes through his whole life and you learn to love his masters, learning about race car driving. One of characters, Eve (the wife) is diagnosed with brain cancer, she fights it, but eventually she dies. However this dog has decided that when he dies he is going to come back into the world as a human and he is going to be an amazing human. This is one of his quotes...

"To live everyday as if it has been stolen from death, that is how one should live. To feel the joy of life. To separate oneself from the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter everyday. To say I am alive, I am wondering I am. That is something to aspire to." 

~Just a Girl

No comments: